Thursday, December 10, 2009

Penang Day 1 : Hard Rock and The Night Market


One of the highlights of the Trip, beside the Bridge-run is the visit to the local Hard Rock Cafe shop. I have been a fan since my poly days where i definitely get a tee from them whenever I visit a states which have a branch. I have collection of their pins from all over US, UK and Europe. Penang seems to be one of their newer outlets.
Not all HRC have hotel attached to it, but the one in Penang have a hotel next to a beach.....how nice...but I doubt I can afford a night stay here in Penang HRC, will cost me at least MYR380++, and that the cheapest available....
Their shops which sell their merchandise can be found both inside the cafe as well as a small building beside the hotel. Though prices are not cheap with Tee start at least at S$40+ and since there isn't a city Tee for Penang here in HRC, I only purchase a shot glass.
The Hotel was model like a beach resort kinda setting...their is a buffet restaurant, wanted to try out buffet, but it over MYR70++ which I thought was quite expensive...
Lobby of the hotel, which is just next to the beach....there are pools around the lobby area and the hotel is not very tall as well..
The decoration at the entrance of the hotel make a class feel to this hotel by the beach. No wonder they command a premium.
It's hard not to notice this hotel with such a huge logo outside..
It's me outside the hotel...we walk towards the beach to see if there is a good view..
The weather is not too good as it is starting to get windy and rainy, lots of dark clouds on the horizon @ the beach next the HRC.
have to fire up the flash just to make things look good...lol
And since the rain came in swiftly, We decide to spend a little more to have our dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe...I have it before years ago in Paris...the setting was very similar.
The Atmosphere is really nice here....though it rather cold, probably due to the rain outside.
Ordered a Salmon set which tasted good but was waiting for this dish for a long time as the cook took really long to grilled this....The staff at the restaurant was really nice and polite, came over to ask if our food and other stuff are well taken care of....compliment to their efforts...
While waiting for our food...this is the kind of stuff I do...as my "Weird" friend refuse to talk due to his hungry mood swings....(lame), but I thought I did a good job here...lol
And asking Mr mood swing to take photos of me...though he is the unwilling animal here, it finally fulfill it's promise of treating me a meal....here.....I waited so long..lol....but it's ok...it's more of the thought that counts....lol
We actually didn't eat very healthy here, this dessert answer the question....i probably eaten over a 1000 calories here....and I am only running a 21km which is expected to burn only about 15oo calories.....(it is really very difficult to control here, but since we are on a holiday....it's acceptable lo, else where got fun)
Lucky, this plate of dessert is shared, my tummy is already coming out...after finishing the dish...

While taking a cab here, the driver actually told us their is some kind of a night market here....after dinner we walk our way down the street to find out what is there is explore...notice quite a number of indian stay in this region....lol
The night market is located about 10mins walk from HRC. The streets outside the HRC....consist of various restaurant, can tell that this area is very tourist friendly....(especially on the prices as well)
All kinds of food can be found in the stretch of streets, there are quite a number of Caucasian here.
Their night market is really nothing interesting, probably due to the fact that I have been to HongKong and Taiwan's version, and the Penang's version is so similar to Singapore's that it's really a far cry from the like of the former (HK and Taiwan)
Prices were also relative expensive and I could get the same quality at more than half the prices when I was in Hanoi....thus I wasn't motivated at all to get anything here...
A typical store in the night market...
Counterfeit brand bags...the rainy season do make it rather quite night to do business..
Quite, Quite...
This area is something of interest, but the quality of such DVDs are usually "doggy" and there is a risk to bring these home...lol...but anyway wasn't in the mood to see show...as I am quite particular with the clearness of the film...
This Night Market stretches a long way....we were trying hard to board a bus, but give up after walking for a long distance without seeing a bus-stop in sight....(honestly speaking...I don even know how the bus-stop look-like, probably too many shopping are already blocking the stops)

Took a cab home for about MYR30.

No comments: