Monday, May 10, 2010

First Run of 2010 - Men's Health - Urbanathlon

This is my most costliest Run to date($128)...but it is the first time I Participate in a run with Obstacles. Honestly speaking, I wasn't in the best shape coming into the run with little training in the Gym to strength my Arms and strength.


Suppose to run it with a friend, but he somehow is moody again so....I proceeded to the venue myself....(thinking he probably have someone running with him).


I arrive pretty early at the race and waited a while for the race to start at 7.30am. Saw "Emu" coming along moody so kinda ignored him.



The Race was flag off in waves and I was kinda in the middle wave to start off. Taking part in the run have a different feeling to it. First time in a race, I have to forgo my Ipod and Camera due to the coming obstacles that involves water and mud. But honestly speaking, I am more afraid of the corporate wall. 


First Obstacle , I thought this must be the most easy of the obstacle. Clear it in a breeze, Leap off over it
The 2nd Obstacle, Corporate Ladder, involve climbing up the hill @ Fort Canning Park. This does get tough as I hated running up slopes...and honestly, this is a very long slope. After coming down, Legs almost wobbly and it also include climbing up 2 Overhead Bridge, one for coming into the park, the other for exit back to City hall area
The 3rd Obstacle, Walk Street, this was the obstacle I was most worried, but turn out the walk was lower than I thought. Make a little more effort than the first obstacle, but still manage to clear it easily.
Obstacle 4 was the station I most underestimated it. Beside the super long Queue that results in at least a 30min wait, I was unable to even pass 2.5m into the 5m monket bar. Did have enough Arm power and I should have taken the penalty of 5mins instead of retrying it which I still failed to clear. I think I wasted like at least 45mins here....
This Obstacle was located just infront of Monkey Bar. Just need to climb into the tunnel and exit from the other side.....They call this Tunnel Vision.
They call this Tyre out...as in Tired out. By then, Obstacle 6, which is at the Singapore Flyer , I am already dead tired. But luckily this was that tough.
We make a loop toward the end of the Kallang River before we see the last two obstacles that will make you wet follow by dirty. Obstacle 7 - Leap of Faith is to Leap into a pool of water and in the process getting yourself super wet. My shoes and short are all soak by the time I came out of the Obstacle and is really uncomfortable to run now...The only good thing is it is cooling now...lol
The Last Obstacle - Down and Dirty is where u get super dirty by crawling through a puddle, infact, it is a pool of muddy water. I tried my best to be as clean as possible by lifting my back as high as I could, but it is in vain...My short and shoes turn brown and covered with mud from bottom down, including my hands.

It is another 2.2Km run back to the finishing line. I can see the Cleaner of the park or the route toward Marina Bay will probably be complaining about us making their day,

I finally completed the run in a embarrassing 2hrs and 5mins excluding the 5mins penalty I clock for failing to clear the monkey bar. It was a good experience and it does tell u how fit you actually are, and my timing tell me I got alot of training to do.

The Board where participates took photos with are now filled with mud from after the run

Did have the chance and mood to take photos at the Nikon Booth. It will be good if there are friends running the race with you.....The photos are fun!!!
The Bad thing about the Run must be the number of shower point make available to runners. There are only 2. You can see why the Queue is so long. I did even bother to use it. I was myself up at the Marina Square Toilet and I am sure the management of Marina Square is going to be very angry by the state of the toilet.

My shoes is beyond repair....super dirty and smelly, and my clothes will probably need to be separately washed as well.

I seen comment on the Forum that there is a petition of a finisher Tee considering how expensive this race is...Let hope 2011 events will be a better manage one as well.. For Sure I will be at 2011 Edition. This race is fun and challenging.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice Photography:)