Friday, June 29, 2012

Devotion - Faithfulness and Obedience

The Waters of Marah and Elim
22 Then Moses led Israel from the Red Sea and they went into the Desert of Shur. For three days they traveled in the desert without finding water. 23 When they came to Marah, they could not drink its water because it was bitter. (That is why the place is called Marah.[f]) 24 So the people grumbled against Moses, saying, “What are we to drink?”
25 Then Moses cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a piece of wood. He threw it into the water, and the water became fit to drink.
There the Lord issued a ruling and instruction for them and put them to the test. 26 He said, “If you listen carefully to the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you.”
27 Then they came to Elim, where there were twelve springs and seventy palm trees, and they campedthere near the water.

Manna and Quail

16 The whole Israelite community set out from Elim and came to the Desert of Sin, which is between Elim and Sinai, on the fifteenth day of the second month after they had come out of Egypt. In the desert the whole community grumbled against Moses and Aaron. The Israelites said to them, “If only we had died by the Lord’s hand in Egypt! There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death.”
Then the Lord said to Moses, “I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions. On the sixth day they are to prepare what they bring in, and that is to be twice as much as they gather on the other days.”
So Moses and Aaron said to all the Israelites, “In the evening you will know that it was the Lord who brought you out of Egypt, and in the morning you will see the glory of the Lord, because he has heard your grumbling against him. Who are we, that you should grumble against us?” Moses also said, “You will know that it was the Lord when he gives you meat to eat in the evening and all the bread you want in the morning, because he has heard your grumbling against him. Who are we? You are not grumbling against us, but against the Lord.”
Then Moses told Aaron, “Say to the entire Israelite community, ‘Come before the Lord, for he has heard your grumbling.’”
10 While Aaron was speaking to the whole Israelite community, they looked toward the desert, and there was the glory of the Lord appearing in the cloud.

I can see 2 contrasting factors here. One being the Israelite grumbling because there is no water fit for drinking and they have been without water for 3 days. Yet they didn't know that grumbling to Moses is like Grumbling to God.  God tested their faith and they failed to trust God even though his presence is with them.

Thinking back to my situation in my lives. I used to find my life not filled with much blessing, seem very very normal, unlike some testimony I have heard about how they resolve certain crisis in their lives and how they encountered God. My was pretty normal to me. But I realized that I am already bring in the elements of taking things for granted that God didn't do anything for me in my life. In fact, he was there all the way in my lives, When I face difficulties in the Army he provided the shelter for me to seek comfort. When I was in Sheffield, he blessed me with alot of friends, and though I didn't do well in my degree, he provided the access to work. Right now, I am in one of my lives most challenging time, yet I never failed to see his presence at work. Though I am still not spirituality sensitive enough to know the direction he want me to go, at least I know he is in control.

The other important thing being mentioned here is obedience. Obedience this word, is not an easy word to apply. It involves faith and a element of trust in God that he is giving you the best for you. Many at time, we become disappointed because what God has given is not something that we desire and in the event, we struggled with it. I must say I struggle with this word Obedience alot. I sometime worry what God's plan for me, what if it turn out to be something I can't accept, or turn out to be disappointment, I didn't trust God's Word fully. Sometime I know I should obey but the flesh is not willing to let go and I took the easy way out to follow my flesh.

It have been a constant battle between what I desire vs what is right in God's eyes. At time obeying God come naturally, but at time I find it hard, even right now, staying in the job to learn that I am serving God and I should do the most to my ability even if it is not something I desire take alot of faith and efforts. At time I very much want to follow my flesh but in doing so I would leave behind alot of shit and speak negatively about my testimony as Christian.

I thank God for his upkeeping and his forgiveness for I have constantly failed to meet the mark but God send many many encouragement, It make me feel so ashamed and guilty that make me want to do better. I am sure soon I will be able to walk in a path God has planned for me. I look forward to it

No comments: