Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Men's Health Urbanalthon 2012 - 14km of Obstacles





My 3rd time trying this Race with Obstacles. It is unlike any other race I been to. Firstly, It is for Guys only. Secondly, there are 9 Obstacles, much like the Army days's Obstacles course which I probably Cannot make it. (Exempted)

This year, they up the difficulties level for most of the Obstacles. 
Met up with my running Khakis in Seagate real early in the morning. Mind you, these are super strong runners.

Deposited my baggage, as there wasn't as much runners for this event, The high price must have deter most of them. It is a whopping $128 for this race. But it is fun based on my past experience.
Total of 9 Obstacles - starting with Walk Street. Felt that is was a ted higher than last year. But this is one of the simplest Obstacle to overcome.

Next up - Barriers of Entry - U jump over the barrier and went under the fixture. A little difficulty added as there isn't this additional fixture last year

Quantum Leap is the next Obstacle - Higher than usual, but Can still manage. One have to constant look out for these obstacles along the way so as to judge the strength required. You wouldn't want to run out of steam here 

Monkey Business is the Obstacle I fear the most, This year, again the difficulty level goes up and instead of swinging straight ahead like a typical Monkey Bar, we were told to go side ways, Meaning Horizontal bars now become Vertical Bars for u to hold. My First 2 Attempts failed, took me the 3rd to pull through. I hope I didn't take a penalty for this. Usually, they allowed only 2 tries.
The objective is to climb over this obstacles, Simple. But Tiredness started to kick in

The Look of this Obstacles can be misleading, The Network requires you to use the net to climb on top of the Truck and back down. The Top of the Truck is a hollow gap which can be quite a challenge.
We run towards the Floating Platform where we started to ascend up a flight of stairs, Called the Corporate Ladder, At this stage, only the strong still have strength to really run up the stair and down. I am basically walking up and walking down here.
Tyred out, another station where they up the difficulty by raising up more tyres such that is requires some form of climbing up. This use to be just a station where u just use your legs to just walk right through the holes in the tyres.
The Last 2 Station - Down and Dirty is the unique feature of this race. It is when runners get wet and down right dirty and cover with Mud. The First Edition of the Race, Mud is the last Obstacles, This time round, The organiser is kind enough to let water be the last obstacles. But Because there is only 1 container holding the mud and water. Kinda waste some 15-20mins here cos there is a super long Queue. Some actually skip this obstacles altogether. I wonder what the point since u paid so much and didn't get to experience this.

Just jump into the mud Pool, walk across it,Climb out of the Mud pool and into the water pool. Refreshing to be in the water pool, wash off all the mud...lol

Finished the Run in a within expectation result - 1hr 51mins, no penalty deducted. It is about 5mins off my Personal Best which I did last year, but consider there is a Queue at the last Obstacle, I think I actually did better.
There are quite a number of food stores and facial washing area for runners to enjoy and wash up. I took a shower at the portable shower on site. Went into the tent and change into the finisher Tee given out to runners that have completed the run.
Every year without failed, One of my running shoes would end up here. I have thrown away 3 pairs including this one here. But lucky they are so worn-out, that is still not that wasteful. I might have problem coming 2013, cos most of my shoes are not that worn out yet since they are just brought last year.
Mission Accomplished, Finisher Medal and Tee. 2013 Edition, I will be back. Can I do it in 1hr30mins? For a 14km? Should be achievable since I can do 15km in 1hr 35min.
 
Thanks to my running Khakis who make this run enjoyable.
Wow, they even have a buffet setup and beer included.

No comments: