Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Devotional Life - Exodus 13 - Consecration of the First Born


Consecration of the Firstborn
13 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Consecrate to me every firstborn male. The first offspring of every womb among the Israelites belongs to me, whether human or animal.”3 Then Moses said to the people, “Commemorate this day, the day you came out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery, because the Lord brought you out of it with a mighty hand. Eat nothing containing yeast. 4 Today, in the month of Aviv, you are leaving. 5 When the Lord brings you into the land of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Hivites and Jebusites—the land he swore to your ancestors to give you, a land flowing with milk and honey—you are to observe this ceremony in this month: 6 For seven days eat bread made without yeast and on the seventh day hold a festival to the Lord. 7 Eat unleavened bread during those seven days; nothing with yeast in it is to be seen among you, nor shall any yeast be seen anywhere within your borders. 8 On that day tell your son, ‘I do this because of what the Lord did for me when I came out of Egypt.’ 9 This observance will be for you like a sign on your hand and a reminder on your forehead that this law of the Lord is to be on your lips. For the Lordbrought you out of Egypt with his mighty hand. 10 You must keep this ordinance at the appointed timeyear after year.

In today Devotion, we are brought to what happen to the Israelities when God brought them out of slavery and bring them to the promise land. God wanted them to remember this occasion when God's mighty hand brought them out of slavery , out of Egypt. This command that God wanted them to do is to show revere or respect for God. It is also there to let us not be taking things for granted but to know that God have done this for us. We are to share this with our kids so that they too know this.

Often in our life, we tend to lack respect for certain things and sometime for God because of our relationship with him have grown cold. It could be because we are not spending enough time building a relationship with him or we are caught up with our Sins or worldly desire. I too fell into this motion of things. Often I felt God is far away, I know I wasn't as obedient as I ought to be. Though spending my time with the lord brought me peace. But Worldly desire do caught up with me time and time again. I used to think that when we are taught to fear God we will give him the respect. But I realise that We shouldn't see Our Father in Heaven as someone Authoritative,  Rather than seeing God as someone who would punish us for wrongs(though he can), we should see him as loving us. In Love we give him the respect just like how we give the respect to our own parents on Earth. In order for us to be able to show this kind of attitude, We must remember what God has done for us in our lives.

For me, God have certain been with me though out my entire lives since I know him, trying to get me back to him.

In doing so, we not only be able to obey the 10 commandment through the Grace that Jesus give to us, but these Law no longer appear as legalistic, We do it because we Love our God, We love Jesus Christ.

This changes my thought in my earlier days as christian when I always find moses'law as so difficult to follow, I was doing it in the legalistic way, I soon fall away because of the lack of love. I soon fully understood it when I grew closer to God. 

The way to what God intended us to live is to spend time with God and hear him out, let him into every section of our lives, that he is in control and we want to follow him not because of it is the law, but because, you know that his ways are better.

No comments: