Monday, April 30, 2012

Energiser Night Trail 2012

It have been really a while since I did a Trail Run. I remember I used to go to MR to join SGrunners, for their 5km, 10km and 15km runs. I even did some runs with my colleges and bro-in-law at MR ranging from 5km to 10km.

Running Trail is not as easy as it seem. Always felt that our normal running shoes feel very inadequate when it come to trail. The rocks and the terrain feel more painful as we pound the trail to the finishing line. 

This time, it is a night trail. Never did a night trail, before. We were each equipped with a Touch which we are to mount it on our head. 

Met up with LC, Lew, Teo and gang at Woodlands for Dinner @ Causeway point. Took the shuttle to the starting point @ Mandai.
 
It was still bright and sunny as we reach the place at around 6.30pm. Check in our "lugguages" and proceeded to look around and explore some of the booth setup there. Apparently, there are various categories of run that start since the early afternoon. There were quite a number of people and family around.

The Road lead to the starting point infront. Though there were not alot of night trail runners to be expected. this Stretch is more than able to accomodate the crowd.

Tons of toilet facilities in a "Jungle"

The Starting time is 7.30pm. All of us gathering at the starting line....It is going to be an exciting run definitely. We put on our touch on our heads....making sure it doesn't slip and keep in place.

U can see how dark it is in the jungle. It look very similar to the ones I use to frequent when I was in the Army. Turn out, the route that they use ...is usually closed to public and is a military training ground. No wonder I see quite a number of shelter that resemble a training ground.

@ the 4km Mark in Pitch Darkness.

As u can see...it is not like Standard Chartered run where u see alot of people running beside you so much so that it actually feel crowded

One of the toughest part of the race is the steep climb to a slope or what I say a hill, Dangerous as it is rather steep and they aren't much things to hold on to except ropes and tress and the volunteers at the side grabbing your hand for you to climb on top. But it was a fun experience, considered I took the 18km Route, I came back to this Slope twice.

On top of the Slope, is all Flat but we will come to a down hill where we will split between 6km, 12km and 18km

Time to split and make my 2nd loop of 9km to complete my 18km Trail Run.

I wasn't expecting a PB here... as I was too lazy to train myself on such a Terrain. Came in around 2hrs 18mins. Pretty expected. This timing was a 21km timing for me on a flat Road.

By the time we  finished, it was around almost 10pm. Took some photo of myself with the Light still on after shining for over 2hrs. Energiser Batteries really can last.
My new group of Running kaki. 

It was a really nice running experience and I think I would want to be back next year to better my timing again. 

No comments: